Limit to available
Corporate Author Edgewood (San Francisco, Calif. : Orphanage)
Title Edgewood records, 1851-1958.

Location Call No. Status
 MAIN - 6th Floor - SF History/Brooks  SFH 29    LIB USE ONLY
Description 32 boxes, 8 cartons, 6 plastic boxes (ca. 30 cu. ft.)
The collection is divided into two record groups: Record Group 1: San Francisco Protestant Orphan Asylum / Edgewood; and Record Group 2: San Francisco Nursery for Homeless Children. Record Group 1 is arranged in seven series: Series 1: Board of Managers; Series 2: Records of Children; Series 3: General Administrative Files; Series 4: Finances; Series 5: Property and Maintenance; Series 6: Publications; and Series 7: Photographs. Record Group 2 is arranged in three series: Series 1: Annual Reports; Series 2: Adoption Papers; and Series 3: Ephemera.
Access The collection is available for use during San Francisco History Center hours, with photographs available during Photo Desk hours. Collections that are stored offsite should be requested 48 hours in advance.
Summary Annual reports; administrative publications; board minutes; admission and discharge records; correspondence, indenture, and adoption files related to individual children; general correspondence; administrative and financial records; property and maintenance records; and photographs of children, staff, buildings, activities, and events. The collection includes some annual records from the San Francisco Nursery for Homeless Children.
Note Edgewood, currently known as Edgewood Center for Children and Families, was the first children's services agency in San Francisco. Founded by the San Francisco Orphan Asylum Society in 1851 as the San Francisco Orphan Asylum (SFOA), it has undergone many name changes and several alterations in mission and function over the years. In 1862, in order to distinguish it from other agencies then in existence, its name was changed to San Francisco Protestant Orphan Asylum (SFPOA). In 1944, encouraged by popular parlance of the children, the name was officially changed to Edgewood. Over the years, the institution evolved from being an orphanage to a home additionally serving children and adolescents with problem family situations; and in 1951, it became a residential treatment program for teenagers. In subsequent years outside of the scope of this collection, Edgewood has also provided day treatment, educational services, and services to children and adults with learning disabilities. It has occupied several sites and campuses throughout the city.
San Francisco Nursery for Homeless Children was founded in 1892 as a non-sectarian home for children. It evolved from the San Francisco Female Hospital, founded in 1878, and a Foundling Home begun in 1887. Exact provenance of the records included with this collection is unknown, but it is assumed that these homes sent their residents and records to SFPOA when they closed.
Cite As: Edgewood Records (SFH 29), San Francisco History Center, San Francisco Public Library.
Note Gift; from Edgewood Center for children and Families, Sept. 20, 2003.
Photographs have been transferred to the San Francisco Historical Photograph Collection.
Related materials in the San Francisco History Center may be found in: Vertical files: SF Buildings. Edgewood Orphanage.
Indexes Paper guide to the collection available in the San Francisco History Center reading room.
Subject Edgewood (San Francisco, Calif. : Orphanage) -- Archives.
San Francisco Nursery for Homeless Children -- Archives.
Orphanages -- California -- San Francisco.
Children -- Institutional care -- California -- San Francisco.
Adolescent psychotherapy -- Residential treatment -- California -- San Francisco.
San Francisco (Calif.) -- Social conditions.
Added Author Orphan Asylum Society (San Francisco, Calif.)
San Francisco Nursery for Homeless Children.