On back: "Built in Boston and brought around Cape Horn to San Francisco in 1855, this locomotive was christened the "Elephant" because of its size, and went to work grading San Francisco sand hills. In 1856 it was sold to the Sacramento Valley Railroad and rechristened the "C. K. Garrison." By a third christening in 1868 it became the "Pioneer" in recognition of its distinction of being the first locomotive used on a California railroad and probably the first on the Pacific coast."
On back: "X-116. "Pioneer" of Sacramento Valley RR. Built by Globe Loco. works, Boston. Brought around Cape Horn, arriving in San Francisco in 1855 and first used in work of grading San Francisco sand hills. Then called "Elephant" because of size. In 1856 was sold to S. V. RR, and was known as "C. K. Garrison" until June 1868, as was then named "Pioneer" in honor its being first locomotive used on a California railroad and probably the first on the Pacific Coast. Drivers 48 inches high."